Main Forum

[bug report] machines malfunctioning

5 replies
Votes:
Untagged users
Ive been trying out the pack for a while now on a singleplayer creative world. Now my pc isn't exactly high-end so I have some major lag spikes every now and then and it takes over 10 mins to launch te pack but Im used to that. the main problem Im having is that many GregTech machines just automatically turn off after a couple of seconds, even if there is more than enough energy and if they haven't finished a batch.
this was annoying at first, but now Im completely unable to do anything with the Electric blast furnace: I tried making some alumin(i)um ingots, and it just shuts off after 2-3 seconds: it still takes my dust and drains a bit of energy, but after that it just turns off. attempts to restart it with the mallet just take more dust and energy but I never actually get ingots.

I made sure it's not on a chunk border and the recipe is correct, so I fear its just caused by the fact that my computer is rather old and weak.

I have the modpack on the techniclauncher and have 3,5 GB of RAM allocated to it.
Posted May 17, 18 · OP
Supporter
Votes:
+1
Supporter
I don't think this is caused by your computer. All things in minecraft are governed by ticks, when your computer is slow minecraft will run your world at a reduced amount of ticks per second (TPS), effectively slowing down everything in your world. This will not cause things in your world to stop/disappear. The EBF exhibits the behavior you describe when it has insufficient power to complete the current process, could we maybe see a screenshot of your setup?
Posted May 17, 18
Administrator
Votes:
+35
Level 2
LEVEL 2
Admins
Administrator
3,5 ram is not much. 4 would be better or you need to reduce display/graphic settings.
Posted May 18, 18
Votes:
Untagged users
Im using basic 5 gas turbines filled up with hydrogen gas. Out of that I have max size copper wires running into both inputs. I'll try using Better wires and more gas turbines and other means of generation, however:

As I said, the EBF isn't the only machine behaving this way. For example, the distillery (or whatever the machine to make lubricant out of oil was) also turned off between batches. it would run a couple of times, then shut off. replacing the chip would fix it as well, and sometimes it would restart on its own.

So even though energy might be the issue, Im not sure about that.

Later update: I had a setup with a bunch of platinum cables (32x) running into both energy inputs. I had 18 basic gas turbines all filled up. Result: the EBF still behaves the same. It is still active for a short moment, in which I can see the gas draining from the turbines. but, again, it shuts off after a couple seconds.
Posted May 18, 18 · OP · Last edited May 19, 18
Supporter
Votes:
+1
Supporter
Try 3 energy inputs instead of 2, each energy input only accepts 2 amps, which means that there is no point in connecting more then 2 generators to each energy input. If your EBF has a maintenance problem it will use more energy then usual, in which case a third energy input is required to operate it continuously. IDK why your other machines are behaving this way, but my distilleries shutdown from time to time as well. In my case this is because I only have enough power to run 2 and a bit distilleries but I have 3 connected. But they in my setup they do turn back on as soon as the power buffers are filled sufficiently again.
Posted May 20, 18
Votes:
+4
Untagged users
Unless you're using lossless cables (which you can't get for LV without a functioning LV blast furnace) you will need to use battery buffers if you want to only use two inputs. As someone else previously mentioned, each input only accepts a maximum of two amps, so having five gas turbines is not helping as one of them won't be used. Additionally, using a 16x cable is simply a waste of metal for a single blast furnace because, again, two inputs can collectively accept only up to four amps. Since each amp is taken including loss, the four turbines which can actually work won't produce enough power by the time the cable actually reaches the blast furnace. The way I like to get around this is by having a 4x battery buffer on each input, with two batteries in each buffer, and two generators feeding into each buffer directly. Though not a flawless system, it's the only particularly good way to run an LV blast furnace with only two energy inputs prior to obtaining lossless LV cables. You could of course just add a third energy hatch, but I prefer to use battery buffers because it's more efficient and gives a significant buffer (if using lithium batteries) for the machine so that it can keep working for a small amount of time even if the generators run out of fuel.

Also, if you're using platinum cables for LV you're doing nothing useful; all that accomplishes is wasting huge amounts of platinum that would be better used elsewhere. Tin (or other LV-tier) cables are always sufficient for LV, using higher tier cables is just wasteful of materials (as is using 16x cables when you only need 4 amps).
Posted May 23, 18 · Last edited May 23, 18
Top Posters
NoticeNotices